Grief and Healing
Whisper your sadness. We will hear and help at prices you can afford.
For thousands of years, funeral services have functioned as a means of expressing beliefs and feelings about death. A funeral is a ritual held in high esteem by society. Rituals help to express the deepest thoughts and emotions on the most important events in life. In the same way that one uses anniversaries to honour the passing of a year, funeral services honour the life and death of the deceased.
How can we help you cope with grief?
Grief is a very personal emotion and everyone experiences it in a unique and personal way. Despite this, there are several steps that everyone has to go through on their road to recovery.
- Recognize the reality of the loss. Often parents or friends know the truth in their heads but not their hearts. It may take more or less time to accept the loss.
- We help you embrace the pain of loss. It is common to try to avoid or deny the pain of loss, but it is important to confront and accept it. The bereaved has to be comforted physically, emotionally and spiritually.
- Our funeral services will help you remember the person who has passed away. It allows you to remain present with his memories.
- Develop a new identity. A part of who we are has been shaped by our relationship with the deceased. We are spouses, parents, children or dear friends. When your loved one dies, you naturally change the way you see yourself. We can help you re-anchor and reconstruct your identity.
- Search for meaning. When you lose a loved one unexpectedly, it is natural to question the meaning and purpose of life. The questions as to why and how it happened will uncontrollably resurface time and again. Death reminds us of our lack of control and may leave us feeling helpless. It is then normal to doubt and question your faith in the meaning of life. Gradually you shall realise that life goes on.
- Receive on-going support from others. It is a difficult time when you need all the love and all the understanding of others in order to heal. There is no shame in being dependent. Feel comforted knowing that others like us at Brown and Sons Funeral Parlour really care about you and want to help you through this difficult time.